What do Vinnitsa dungeons hide?
A monk’s ghost was photographed here, artifacts left by the townspeople and conquerors for four centuries are still found. They also talk about dangerous sea graves and Nazi forgotten treasures and military secrets. They also suggest that the dungeons stretch for many kilometers out of town. What really is there, nobody knows for certain, because despite episodic attempts to investigate them, no one has yet created even a reliable scheme of their location.
The last surge of interest in the Vinnitsa underground world occurred in March, when a failure occurred in the courtyard of the former Dominican monastery, and today the Holy Transfiguration Cathedral of the UOC, which opened the passage to the eighteen-meter underground passage with a stone arch. Therefore, they started talking about the Vinnitsa “catacombs” again, in particular, as a potentially attractive attraction for tourists. So far, you can get on a tour only in the mysterious basement of the former Capuchin monastery. As for the future of the remaining dungeons, it remains uncertain.
DUNGEON AS RESCUE
“Vinnytsia” catacombs “is, in fact, a very arbitrary concept. It’s t more correcto talk about some kind of system of underground passages, cellars under what we call the historical center of Vinnitsa. Conventionally, they are located on a site from the modern central a bridge over the Southern Bug River in the east to Gagarin Square – the territory of the former Kalichanskiy Market, or the Kalich Yar in the west. Their total length is more than a kilometer. Do we know for certain that Vinnitsa has an extensive system of underground passages connected between oh, no, we guess and make certain assumptions, is there any clear documentary evidence that during the construction of this or that monastery there were some definite developments regarding the idea of such a joint adjacent use of the city’s underground line? No, no, and this is also a big problem “Today, the so-called Vinnitsa catacombs are a combination of some scientific facts, partly archaeological research and a huge number of myths, stories and urban folklore,” says the director of the Center and Stories of Vinnitsa “Alexander Fedorishen.
View of the preserved part of the wall of Murov Spaso-Preobrazhensky Cathedral of the UOC – a former Dominican monastery
According to him, the territory under which the dungeons lie, which can be called classic catacombs, is a complex of historical monuments “Mura” and what is around them. In particular, we are talking about the totality in the center of the former Jesuit monastery and the Dominican monastery, in the premises of which are now located the regional museum of local lore and art, the Transfiguration Cathedral of the UOC, the State Archive of the Vinnitsa Region and the Vinnitsa Technical Lyceum. Conventionally, this “square” is limited to the streets Monastyrskaya, Mura, Sobornaya and Sholom Aleichem, as well as the territory adjacent to it.
Note that this complex of structures is the first stone building in Vinnitsa, which has been keeping its chronicle since 1611, when during the time of the Commonwealth, the Jesuits came to the city and subsequently began to build a monastery. The Renaissance architecture with elements of the early Baroque architecture was imprinted by the constant threat of Tatar raids from the nearby Wild Field and Cossack performances. So, the Jesuit complex was created as a fortress, which is why it received the name “Mura” (from the Latin murus – wall). A bit later, Dominicans began to build their monastery next to it. Now, “Muram” also includes this territory.
Even later, in 1746, Capuchin monks came to the city and established their own monastery, however, 100 meters to the west and “across the road” from “Murov”. He was also surrounded by thick walls.
Dungeon on the territory of the Transfiguration Cathedral of the UOC
It is with these three monasteries and their defense needs that historians connect the appearance of dungeons in the city center.
“The dungeon of this site can be called catacombs, because this entire complex was a citadel, the last outpost during the attacks of the invaders, which can restrain the enemy when he broke through the front edges of the defense. Unfortunately, in Vinnitsa there was no high-quality protective system – only a wooden picket fence and earthen ramparts, which were not a significant obstacle for a serious enemy, for example, in the case of the defense of Vinnitsa by Ivan Bogun in 1651, it was Mura, at least, as most scholars think, became the fulcrum of In order to defend and further revive the city, in order for this citadel system — the monastic and defense systems at the same time — to function, it had to be connected with adjacent sections, such communications could be planned for transporting supplies, weapons, military equipment, and organizing a counterattack behind enemy lines , which keeps this territory under siege, or evacuation, “said Alexander Fedorishen.